Thursday, January 27, 2011

edible love

My very first big deal cooking experience was cooking for my dad. I was probably in high school and my mom was out of town. I decided I was going to make ribs because it was fancy enough to show love but easy enough to pop in the oven. I had no idea how to do so and no easy access to the internet so I called my mom and based on her telephone directions, I forged ahead. When she said put salt and pepper on the meat, I took that to mean encrust the meat with seasoning. I couldn't understand why I couldn't SEE the seasoning on the meat as I was putting it on. I didn't give up - I just kept on bathing it. So when the meat was thoroughly covered in a thick layer of seasoning, I put it in the oven. When it was done, we almost had ourselves a nice rack of cured meat. My dad didn't give up - he ate it. I love him.

Nowadays, I've got more meals under my belt and more people that I feed. Energy recently got back from a long trip through the Biblelands and I invited him over to show K and me some photos. I was craving some Mexican food and told Energy I may run out and grab some burritos when I get this text: "aww you're not cooking? BOO that's one of the highlights of my visit."'

Words. It's one of my love languages. So I set out to cook. Since I was still craving Mexican and can't cook Mexican, I made guacamole. I love making guac because I don't eat spicy - at all - and when I make it, it's not spicy! WHEE! Everyone else in the world apparently likes it at least mildly spicy. Since I do my grocery shopping after work, I need other quick things. Here's what we ate:




Everything taste fine and so for my lovely college students just starting out in the kitchen, here's what went down:

Guacamole
- chop up half of a white onion (I highly rec a mini food processor for this)
- chop 2 cloves of garlic
- chop up 1 or 2 tomatoes depending on how much you like tomatoes
- scoop out 3 ripe avocados
- mix in everything with a spoon
- squeeze some lime juice into it (or lemon. that's all I had)
- add salt
EAT!

Chicken
- chicken thighs
- salt/pepper
- korean bbq sauce
- In the oven at 350 for about 40 minutes. This depends on how big your chicken is.
- EAT!

Potatoes Au Gratin
- I used this recipe.
- Didn't have whatever cheese they were asking for so I bought the shredded cheese in a bag at the store. Got mozzarella, asiago, parmesan, and some mild cheddar.
- grease baking dish
- slice potatoes
- line dish with potatoes, add salt/pepper, mix of cheese.
- repeat layers until done.
- pour in cream. not a ton. just enough.
- oven at 400 for 45 minutes or so.
- let cool about 5 minutes before serving. K would say more like 10 because he ate it and it was too hot for him.
EAT!

Just to have something green on the plate, I added arugula and a bottle of dressing.

I was short on time so I popped the chicken in at 350 and then started preparing the potatoes. By the time I was done, the chicken had been in there for about 20 minutes and then I invited the potatoes to join the chicken in the oven. I turned up the heat to between 375/400 and let them party. Turned out fine.

Everyone was full and happy. :)

1 comment:

Winnie said...

Your story of cooking for your dad made me feel all warm and fuzzy. That's so sweet of you AND your dad.