Friday, May 1, 2009

Test. Teach. Repeat.

Found this conversation in the NY Times to be interesting. It's 5 perspectives/solutions to testing in schools.

As state testing comes upon us at this time of year, it's all I can think about. It's all we talk about. It wears me out. It really is as bad as they say it is.

*shakes fish at No Child Left Behind*

The Pres wants to institute merit pay. Will need to research this. I'm all for accountability as someone acknowledges that there is a limit to what teachers are able to accomplish with any one student. I'm no Jaime Escalante, but I work hard and I don't always get the desired results. Please don't dock my pay. Teaching kids isn't the same as churning out car sales.

On a brighter note, we're having a bbq/pool party for K's birthday today. Just yesterday, weather.com said there was a 60% chance of rain. Today it's O%. God is awesome.

3 comments:

Winnie said...

I think some parents need to take more responsibility in teaching their children instead of just relying on the school and teachers . . . but I'm not a parent so what do I know :-P

mel said...

ditto above comment...
I really don't get it when parents place so much responsibility on us as teachers to train up their child when it should be their sole responsibility albeit easier said than done...check out this entry from a friend of mine...

http://abiggerhug.blogspot.com/2008/04/teach-to-test.html

wan-nabe said...

i have always thought it was a ridiculous tragedy that the dedicated folks who teach our next generation of scientists, engineers, teachers, inventors are so sorely underpaid. it leads those who are wonderful, brilliant educators to leave the field in the pursuit of higher salaries, and that is truly a sad, sad thing.