Wednesday, May 6, 2009

gettin' my betty crocker on

I made chicken marsala last night. From scratch. Got the recipe from smitten kitchen and it tasted awesome. K loved it. *high five self* Oh, but please don't tell K that there was nearly an entire stick of butter in it. He'd die. Thanks.

So tonight I'm trying shepherd's pie. (Recipe from Food Network) Why, oh why, would I make shepherd's pie when it's 90 degrees out? *bangs head against wall* We'll see how it goes. I am - at the moment - sweltering in the heat from nature and from the oven. FAIL.

*eats dinner*

Verdict: Shepherd's pie is fine. Nothing stellar. Kinda bland, not sure what I did wrong. Maybe shepherd's pie is supposed to taste that way? I'm not sure. It is comforting in the stomach though ... even in 90 degree weather. :)











5 comments:

Winnie said...

I often bake things in the dead middle of summer too :) Yum, chicken marsala and shepherd's pie both sound really good.

dapotato said...

love chicken marsala. the bear is not as huge of a fan.

shepherd's pie is deeelicious and should not be bland (although most english food is kind of on the bland side). best i've had lately is at royal clayton's pub downtown/in the warehouse district. don't have a good recipe for it, though. did you use ground lamb? i've heard it makes a difference, but i bet a recipe with more spices/seasonings/whatever would make it better.

venn said...

That chicken marsala recipe looks delish. I think I'll try it out tonight!

wan-nabe said...

you're talking to the girl who's making red velvet cupcake bites in 90-degree weather. :/

i made that smitten kitchen recipe for chicken marsala last night! it's my favorite. time consuming, but so worth it.

i have a recipe for shepherd's pie that looks basic, but it's yum. let me know if you want it.

amber said...

That all sounds delish! My cooking really fell off in May due to stupid swine flu, but I'm hoping to pick it back up this month.