Monday, May 25, 2009

The Commutative Property

In 2004, I vowed to never shop at A&F. My friend was involved in a lawsuit against them and at that time, it was the first time I had known anyone to be so personally affected by discrimination. It was the right thing to do. Prior to this, my closet was full of A&F gear. 

When Hollister opened a couple years later, it took awhile for me to get the memo: it's the same company.

Gilly Hicks gave itself away with its patio furniture and half-naked kids in front of the store.

At the Americana, I stumbled into RUEHL. As soon as I walked in, I was confused. It was dark and the store was separated into small rooms. I looked at the clothes and was tempted. I had a feeling that was confirmed when a kid said to me, "Have you visited Gilly Hicks?" I said no, turned around, and followed the light at the end of the hallway.

Nice try, Mr. Jeffries.

On another note, Austin is now involved in an awesome project. Check him out at The Recess Ends.



6 comments:

WeezerMonkey said...

Good job. I hate ArtfulBigotry & Kitsch.

Are you too young to remember all those awful offensive Asian t-shirts with slogans like "Two Wongs Can Make It White" and slanty-eyed caricatures wearing rice paddy hats doing laundry?

dapotato said...

good for you. i totally thought gilly hicks at americana was hollister until i saw the nekkid mannequins in the window. i was confused as they were nakeder than usual. heh.

Winnie said...

I've never shopped at A&F, nor Hollister. Aside from the discriminatory accusations, my eyes never adjust well enough to the (lack of) lighting in the stores to see what they sell. Not to mention, I'm not skinny enough to fit into their clothes :X

wan-nabe said...

dude, for me it's that horrific odor wafting out the door of all of those stores. gross.

amber said...

Good for you!

Guhleeenda said...

i refuse to step into a&f. discrimination aside, i hate their marketing scheme and disdain the patronage of spoiled, self-entitled teenage kids even more.