Wednesday, February 4, 2009

winner, winner chicken dinner

K had a work dinner at the Arroyo Chop House tonight so I took the opportunity to try something out. I made chicken gizzard for dinner. Don't knock it 'til you try it. But just don't google "chicken gizzard" before you try it. 

I love chicken gizzard yakitori, but K is not a fan so it was a the perfect time to give it I try.

Less than $3 at 99 Ranch. Can't beat it.



I had to use the internet to help me with this meal. I had no idea how to deal with this stuff. Everyone agrees, you have to wash the gizzards well.

I tried it 2 ways: deep fried and broiled with some of my super sweet sauce. Baked it at 350 for 25 minutes, and broiled for 5. 


Glazed in sweet goodness.


Pair it with some type of choy and rice and voila. Dinner!


Verdict: I did good. Tasted fine. =)

Deep frying it, surprisingly, was a PITA. According to this recipe, I had to "parboil" it first.



Heat was a bit too high ...


Had to boil for 15 minutes!!


Finally done and chillin' in the colander.


Toss the cooled gizzards in flour and seasonings, deep fried at medium heat for 10 minutes. 10 minutes!!



Verdict: 10 minutes was too long. Fried a bit too hard, even for my taste and I love me some fried goodness. I'd definitely make it again though. Good for a snack.



5 comments:

WeezerMonkey said...

That looks like a lot of work. :P

Winnie said...

Sorry, way too much work for this lazy wife here :) I generally don't fry anything at home because it's a PITA.

amber said...

it's hard for me to think of gizzards as anything but what you put in gravy to add flavor to it. :P

venn said...

I'd like to know what's in the super sweet sauce. If it can make gizzards that tasty, it must be some pretty damn good sauce!

wan-nabe said...

i am cracking up at the fact that we both have posts with this title.