Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama/Inauguration Day

We celebrated Inauguration Day at work today. This inauguration is so special for our students particularly because a lot of them are African American. After today, I finally feel truthful in saying, "You can do anything." The reality of racism and social injustice will still reign after today but for today, we celebrated their right to optimism and hope.

We encouraged everyone to wear patriotic colors or Obama gear today.


A co-worker with the voice of an angel sang "Lift Every Voice and Sing" to start off the morning.


Most of the kids were able to watch the inauguration on TVs or computers but I had to listen to it in the car because I took K's keys with me this morning and had to drive home to return them so he could get to work. Fail. 

Nevertheless, I really, really enjoyed his speech and Joseph Lowery and the benediction at the end made me chuckle: "...black won't have to go back, brown may be down, and yellow may be mellow." (or something to that effect)

I, of course, sported my obama gear today:



I had wanted to purchase a shirt directly from the website but didn't have time so I stopped by Urban Outfitters and paid way too much for this one. You can't see them in this picture but I am sporting the Obama barrettes. 

Go USA!


4 comments:

WeezerMonkey said...

Even I love children in Obama gear.

Winnie said...

I had no Obama gear. Fail. I like your shirt though.

amber said...

i love these pictures! must have been a really awesome day at your school yesterday :)

wan-nabe said...

i love those "time" tees.

i drove the teen to the democratic party office in pasadena the day before the election so she could get an obama shirt. that was crazy.