Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chinese New Year 2009

Happy Chinese New Year's Eve!



I really love Chinese New Year. It makes me feel a bit more connected to the Chinese culture, but it also reminds me that I don't know quite enough about it. Since we always rely on our parents to put on the celebrations, I worry that when it comes time to pass on these traditions, I'll drop the ball. This became especially apparent when I heard Grace Young's story on NPR about Chinese New Year. I hadn't heard of most of the things that she talked about. Apparently, Mumsy knew about them because she did prepare some of the dishes. Yay for Mumsy!


The dinner was fabulous. The best thing about going to eat with Mumsy and Popsicle at their house is that we eat the entire night. Before dinner there are snacks galore, then soup, then dinner, then fruit, then ice cream ... then whatever else you want to eat.

Louie joined us for dinner this year!



That is the face of a dog who will eventually eat way too many peaches for his own good. He will throw up. In my bed. At 1 A.M. Yea, he did. He ate peaches. Then threw up. On the bed. At 1 A.M. Sigh.






4 comments:

WeezerMonkey said...

We're bad Taiwanese kids. We're going to BLT Steak tonight, and I'm going to another Clippers game tomorrow.

So much for being true to my culture. :P

Winnie said...

I totally failed at making the food that my mom used to make for new year :( Oh well.

amber said...

sounds like a fun post-evening event. :/

my asian CWs brought in a bunch of yumminess yesterday. happy lunar new year!

wan-nabe said...

the last part made me very sad indeed.