Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Nervous

Am I the only one who is extremely nervous today?

I have not voted yet, but will do so after work today. I feel like there is this tension that has been building up inside of me over the past week and I find myself, for the very first time, nervous about an election.

Many people have been touting this as a historic election and that's partly why I'm all worked up but even more so, I think I'm actually nervous if it turns out that my candidate doesn't win. 

Here in California, some of the state propositions have drawn very deep lines in the sand between people. People's faith and loyalty to God are being questioned by others because of these propositions and candidates. Conversely, people who are striving to vote to reflect their faith are having their character questioned by others who've known them way too long and well to be judgmental.

As a Christian, Isaiah 55:8-11 has been a good reminder for me

 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.

"As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,

so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

I can't tell you who to vote for or how you should vote. That is above my pay grade. 


(spotted this on frolic)


6 comments:

WeezerMonkey said...

I happily tell people how to vote.

Whether they follow the advice is a whole different matter. ;)

The Modern Type said...

I'm nervous too. That's why I'll be glued to the tv all night. Covering my eyes and with the volume low of course.

amber said...

you summed up my thoughts so very well. i'm hoping not to bite all my fingernails off watching the coverage tonight. :/

venn said...

I've had a knot in my stomach all day.

I have Christians friends in equal numbers on both sides of the Prop 8 debate. And both sides passionately cite their faith as the reason they're voting the way they are. I think the discussion and conflict, though at times frustrating for me, have been a great learning experience. I think it's healthy and necessary for people to question and defend not only what they believe but why they believe it.

Tonight, I'm watching the election results with 2 very close friends who hope that they will have the right to "officially" marry after tonight. I'm scared and nervous for them. I'm hoping that nervousness is replaced by joy in a few hours.

Winnie said...

I'm now angry re: prop 8.

wan-nabe said...

i was nervous and anxious on election day, too.