Sunday, November 9, 2008

Lights

Everything I know about lighting, I learned from Candice Olson. (I hope tater doesn't kill me.) In all of her designs, she uses "layers of light" that adds this amazing look and depth to her rooms. It probably also helps that her show is shot with this pretty, soft lens that makes everything look beautiful. 



I don't care for some of her furniture choices, but the lighting is always awesome in her spaces.

In my current house, I have lamps that we've collected throughout the years. I am the proud owner of an imitation mickey and minnie mouse lamp and this bear lamp I received when I was in the 5th grade:



Love the dust? It's a crazy mess in the house right now. There are no two lamps that are the same in our current place so part of furnishing the new house has been picking out all new lamps. I had no idea the variety of lamps that are available out there. Don't go lamp unprepared. You'll be blinded. So far, we've purchased these lights:



When we went shopping for floor lamps, we were unprepared for how expensive, IMO, they would be. It turned out that recessed lighting ended up being a better investment given the price of a good floor lamp. We got 8 cans of 4" lights in the living area and it makes all the difference in the world in a small space. We also did this in the kitchen and bathroom also, and its beautiful! I will have to remember to snap pictures that next time I drop by le shoebox.

7 comments:

The Modern Type said...

Love MissPrint!! I could spend hours looking at all the lovelies.

Winnie said...

I have no idea what you're talking about with the layer of lights and recessed lighting . . . but I like your choices :)

WeezerMonkey said...

That bear lamp kills me.

amber said...

i think tater might kill me too because i LOVE miss olson. LOVE HER!

the lamps you've picked out are so pretty. two thumbs up!

dapotato said...

i don't know miss olson, but i appreciate good lighting design. not sure if hers are as there is a lot of supplemental light in those photos not from the lighting installed. ;)

anyway, architectural ("built-in") lighting is always a good thing. ;). and yes, decorative lighting is expensive.

i know what i'm getting the bear for christmas now.

Jasmine said...

that the bear light is ah-mazing! ;)

wan-nabe said...

yup, the bear lamp is my favorite.