Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Watching

I finally watched a full episode of Gossip Girl for the first time on Monday night. I've sat through a partial episode before, but never a full episode. A few of my BFFs love this show and are addicted, I just never caught on.

WeezerMonkey did some fabulous write ups of previous episodes (and other TV shows) but since I had never watched them, I never really got them. The writing is on Gossip Girl is so.much.fun. My favorite line of the episode came courtesy of Chuck Bass:

B: What took you so long?
C: If you think that was long, you have no idea what you're in for.

[dead] I'm LOLing just thinking about it. 

It's one of those shows that you have to be 110% into or it'll just seem stupid. It actually reminds me a lot of the original 90210. I'm not sure if I'll be making the time to watch it weekly (no Tivo here) but its definitely enjoyable!

SO MUCH BETTER than the crap that is The Hills. I used to watch the show pretty regularly and it started making me want to stab myself in the eye a bit during the last season. I flipped to it on Monday and discovered that they started doing this so very stupid interactive thing where people post messages about the show as they're watching it. Then MTV flashes selected messages on the screen every 2 seconds or so. I'm watching the scene and Audrina walks into the room. "Team Audrina!!!!! - saijd238" flashes across the screen. 2 seconds later, another comment flashes in another corner. Interactive TV watching on speed. I can't handle it.

After about three minutes of this (The initial shock and disgust immobilized me), I had to flip away. Do they do this during the ENTIRE show? Will the messages flash on reruns as well? The dialogue on the show is tough enough. Bah! 


6 comments:

The Modern Type said...

I watch OG 90210 reruns on Soap Net every morning. Perhaps I will jump on the Gossip Girl bandwagon because of the connection you made to it.

WeezerMonkey said...

Gossip Girl is delicious, but I don't think it's like OG 90210 at all. The dialogue is clever, and the plots are uber-salacious, neither of which were components of the old Beverly Hills show.

As for The Hills, I stream online before it even airs real-time on the West Coast. I find it far more palatable this way. No text messages whatsoever, and you can be done with it before the rest of your primetime TV even starts.

amber said...

GG is the best! such scandalous fun :) glad you enjoyed it.

venn said...

Gossip Girl is so redunkulous, it's awesome.

The Hills is so redunkulous, it's disgusting.

Winnie said...

Yay! Welcome to the Gossip Girl bandwagon!

wan-nabe said...

funny, i still have never seen a single episode of this. but like the modern type, i watch OG 90210 every. stinking. day.