Monday, April 28, 2008

Superlatives

It was supposed to be a quick hour-long plane ride to SF for some fun with my BFFs, a wedding in Sacramento, and back in time for a late dinner with K on Sunday. It was supposed to be. A broken down car make it one of the longest weekends of my life. Highway 80 is the longest highway ever. I hope to never have to drive it again.

I hadn't been back to Nor Cal since I graduated and as the airport tram made a stop at the BART station, I teared up like a wuss.

The wedding was a fabulous blend of many people and traditions. I was so happy to be a witness to the beautiful ceremony and had a good time catching up with friends at the reception. You would think that being the wedding lover that I am, I would actually have pictures. I don't.

The wedding was also the site of the worst best man speech ever. It was long, it was boring, and I don't even think it was really about the couple. Here's a highlight (context: the couple met through eharmony):

Worst Man: Who here has tried online dating?
(A few hands go up.)
WM: I'd never do it. You never know if the "girl" you're talking to is a 40-year-old pervert.
(uncomfortable laughter)
WM: But as you know, A and A met online. ... So ... good for them.
(crickets)

Then WM proceeds to top off the evening by saying to the groom's parents at the end of the evening, "I am so glad my speech is over! I thought it was great. I'm going to get f-ing wasted now."

So. freaking. fabulous.

The wedding gave me a chance to show off my new hair cut. It received rave reviews but most people didn't recognize me until, on average, the third take.

I heart weddings.

6 comments:

WeezerMonkey said...

That is totally the worst speech ever!

Winnie said...

Wow. That's one helluva speech.

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

you forgot the part about the eharmony shpeal when he said "plus, you can't really tell whether the girl has a nice personality" and when he said "personality" he held his hands in front of his chest, holding large, imaginary breasts. Worst speech EVER.

Hopefully my serenades in the car made up for it :)

wan-nabe said...

i'm crying at that speech, and it's not the good kind of crying.

dapotato said...

love "worst man."