Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I don't cry.

My grandpa is in the hospital. He's been there for the past few days and my dad just called me to go see him. He's having heart problems and difficulty breathing. My grandpa has been sick and progressively getting worse for awhile. Partly because of age, partly of various ailments. Some in the family are convinced this is the end of the road for him and my aunt was in tears at the hospital.

I looked at her, I looked at my grandpa with his oxygen mask and frail body and I ... wanted to take a picture. For some strange reason, I thought to myself, if this was going to be my last time seeing him, I wanted to remember every single detail of the moment. I have a horrible memory and part of me was afraid I'd somehow forget what was happening or even what he looked like. All I could think of was taking a picture. But I didn't cry.

At one point I was on the verge of tears when the nurse responsible for monitoring his heart walked in. She was a woman of at least forty years with braided pig tails and these pigtails were weaved with sparkly gold yarn. This framed her face painted with blue eye shadow, cat eyes drawn in with liquid eyeliner, and bright red lipstick. It was some demented version of Raggedy Anne crossed with "Me love you long time."

I could not help but bust up laughing. I thank God for His sense of humor and perfect timing. My grandpa may or may not get better, but I will forever remember tonight's meeting.

3 comments:

WeezerMonkey said...

Raggedy Anne + Full Metal Jacket whore?!

Nice.

Sorry about your grandpa. :(

dapotato said...

OMG. love the illustration. love your attitude even better, and it sounds like you and he are at peace with whatever the outcome.

sorry to hear, though. it's still hard.

MissMissy said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa. Treasure all the times you get to be with him.